Sunday, October 14, 2012

Freezing Hot

Last week I saw a program about how to keep your food fresh in the refrigerator. 

I was just barely listening to it because I have heard some of it before and because I was doing other stuff at the same time. 

They talked about how to store veggies and fruits.  Never put them in the same drawer because fruit releases gases that affect veggies.  Make sure the humidity level is on high for the veggie drawer.

Leave eggs in their original container because they are designed to keep them fresher.  Eggs are porous and can absorb smells from the fridge.  The egg carton helps prevent that.  Never keep eggs in the door of the fridge.

I have heard most of that info before.  But then I heard something that was new to me.

They said that you should keep milk in the middle of the fridge.  (They were using a side by side fridge to demonstrate what they were talking about.)

They said that the middle is the most consistently cold place in the fridge.  I thought it was interesting and that it kind of made sense but then I was off to my next task.

The next day I went grocery shopping.  Once I was home and started putting away the groceries, I remembered what I had seen on TV.

So I made a few rearrangements in the fridge.  I moved the veggies to their own drawer, adjusted a shelf and placed the milk in the middle.

                    IMAG1495

Not to hard. 

And probably not going to make a big difference.

We had a day off of School on Friday and enjoyed a much needed lazy morning.  Paul was working from home that morning.  I came down the stairs and saw him finishing up breakfast.  He looked up at me and said,

“This milk is so cold! It’s awesome!”

It was so surprising to me because once I had made the changes in the fridge, I dismissed the subject from my mind.  I hadn’t even mentioned it to him.

Well, there you have it.  Proof that it’s true.  For Paul to notice and comment about it really says that there was a noticeable difference.  Even Kara noticed too.

So if you want your milk to be ‘’Freezing hot’’ like Coop and Cass say, try moving the milk to the middle shelf!

2 comments:

Michele Garvin said...

That is so " cool "! I love that you didn't even tell Aaul or Kara about your new experiment. I wonder where they say to put the ilk in a traditional freeze?

Michele Garvin said...

Okay, I just read my comments and I sound like a total idiot...but hopefully you get the message right?